Powered By Blogger
"The secret of good teaching is to regard the child's intelligence as a fertile field in which seeds may be sown, to grow under the heat of flaming imagination."

--Dr. Maria Montessori



Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Workshop Wednesday

Here is a simple activity to strengthen fine motor skills. You could place this activity in your table toys area.

Materials:
Jar (I suggest plastic such as an empty mayonnaise jar)
Clothespins (plastic or wooden)

Place the jar and a small basket of clothespins on a tray and have the children squeeze the clothespins with enough strength to attach them to the rim of the jar. What a perfect game for exercising and strengthening finger muscles. You could extend the activity by having them count the number of clothespins they attach or if using colored clothespins they could sort them by color. The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

  1. Gayle, I love the idea you shared about the Clothespins. I have just recently added this idea into my centers and my students have enjoyed playing this game. In my classroom we call it "The Clothespin Game." I also added number cards to the game, so a few students can play at a time. For example player one would select a card that is upside down on the floor and would place that many clothespins around his / her tin bucket. The other player(s) would check their friends work and then would select their own number card off the floor and add that many clothespins to their tin bucket. I added the number cards to help with number recognition.

    ReplyDelete