Powered By Blogger
"The secret of good teaching is to regard the child's intelligence as a fertile field in which seeds may be sown, to grow under the heat of flaming imagination."

--Dr. Maria Montessori



Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday

WOW! I am so behind in my posts. Sorry about that. Hopefully I can get back on schedule. Today's thought comes from Eileen Kennedy-Moore. She talks about Why Friendships Matter in the October issue of Work and Family Life.  According to Kennedy-Moore, "Friendships are not only a source of fun, they help kids grow in meaningful ways.  They create a sense of belonging through shared interests: 'my friends and I like this kind of music…' or 'we play soccer.'  Friendships can provide acceptance and help children feel good about themselves:  'Michelle is my friend and she wants to play with me.'  Having friends also makes it easier for kids to tolerate stress, rebuffs, or aggravation.  And friendship encourages children to go beyond their own self-interest.  Caring about a friend, or just wanting to play with that friend, can temper selfish urges and open the way for negotiation, compromise, and even generosity." How are you encouraging friendships in your classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment