Powered By Blogger
"The secret of good teaching is to regard the child's intelligence as a fertile field in which seeds may be sown, to grow under the heat of flaming imagination."

--Dr. Maria Montessori



Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday

What do you teach four-year-olds?

When you tell someone you teach preschool have you ever been asked, "What in the world do you teach four year olds?" Carol Hillman in her book, Teaching Four-Year-Olds: A Personal Journey responds by saying: "Many years ago, I would have answered by describing some of the science projects or the work with art materials I did with children.  Now it is different. I feel more secure in my own position.  I tell them what I really do.  I teach children about the world they live in, about themselves, and their peers.  And I teach children about adults, trust, and love.  I work with attitudes.  I hope to inspire a love of learning.  This is what I teach."

What do YOU teach four-year-olds?

No comments:

Post a Comment